Search This Blog

Search This Blog

Tuesday 10 December 2013

UGLY and DIABOLO !!

 
UGLY and DIABOLO !!
 
These are two funny handmade pens by me. Last night I sat down to complete them using various local components including nib , feeder  and converter. Finally got them working. Took a while to set up the nibs by tuning- these cranky looking unconventional pens write quite comfortably now. These would stay in my collection.
 
Both started off as kit-less pen attempts and I had machined the body while I was on ship.
 
 UGLY has a steel tube in brass cladding as the barrel. The barrel was step cut in three places and filled with a paste of saw-dust & Araldite - an experiment in inlay process! Only after trying I learnt how messy it all could turn! Cap on this pen is a wooden tube fitted with a solid heavy brass finial and a cannibalized clip. Cap to barrel fitment is a gentle slide fit , made by lapping. It works. The pen was lying in this condition for about five months, unattended. Last night I got inspired to  activate this pen. Fitted a local nib & feeder and a converter. This is working now.
 
DIABOLO is made from High compression resistant plastic, I found in scrap on board the ship, used for Hatch-cover compression pad. I had machined and made the body on board and as usual left like that for long. Last night I picked up a pen refill for Reynolds "Grippy" from my son's drawer, modded that a bit here & there and changed the nib. The final combo writes fine.
 
Both these pens are an experiment gone bad. But I enjoy these funny looking pens, which somehow write fine.
 
This post is only for fun. No serious pen turner would probably like to look at these!
 
 
 










No comments:

Post a Comment