Search This Blog

Search This Blog

Tuesday 17 December 2013

Atrax Gold kit- Inspired by praying mantis figure.


Atrax  Gold kit- Inspired by praying mantis figure.


I had always contemplated finishing this semi- finished pen body. Now at home , without the support of a lathe machine, I chose to use a kit.
After a long matching and mixing session , finally decided upon using the Atrax Gold kit I had with me. The clip and end finials of this kit seemed to match with the mantis image. I do not know why this pen body always reminds me of a mantis, perhaps the articulated segmented look.  Nevertheless  I would call this mantis!
The body is made with steel and brass with four segments of wood rings. There is very fine misalignment due to the wobbly lathe machine , but unless looked closely these are not visible.
For the fitment I had to little bit modify the inner tubes using a die grinder [  my only tool ahead of the stone age!] and for the pen press I used a C-clamp !
The wood part retained the original CA finish, perhaps a few more coats would have done it better. But I decided to avoid the messy stuff for now.
Overall I am very happy that this one tuned out just the way I wanted.
Please  let me have your comments and critiques.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment